I know from working as a florist in a floral shop that if you order through 1-800 Flowers or from the florist's website, often a big company takes a fee from the small shop.
And there are many benefits for me, too:
- I can choose a floral shop that's closest by looking at the map, which means they can probably get the flowers there faster without a bunch of fees
- By calling them directly, I get to hear Glenn's cute raspy voice and make a specific request like a type of flower rather than going with one of the cookie-cutter designs
- It matters to me that I support the small businesses rather than the major chains
- I connect directly with a human about a purchase that matters to me
- I can request a certain price point, and ask that they do their best to work within that. And because the florist keeps a bigger % of the sale they can pass a little savings on to me as well
So I hope you'll keep this in mind next time you're looking to buy flowers. Support the local floral shops! Long live your flowers!